It is easy being green: Don’t miss our free spring shred events
Protect the earth. Protect your identity.
Spring cleaning is right around the corner. Instead of loading all of your old documents and paper waste into a trash can, come shred it for free at your closest Arsenal branch. Not only will you be doing the environment a favor, you’ll also be taking a proactive step toward protecting your identity by destroying documents with your sensitive information.
When is my shred event?
We’re holding four shred events at the following locations:
- Webster Groves (Mid County): Saturday, April 6
- Florissant (North County): Saturday, April 6
- Arnold (Jefferson County): Saturday, April 13
- Swansea (St. Clair County): Saturday, April 13
All shred events take place between 9 a.m. and noon. You can bring as many documents as you want (within reason).
We’re partnering with American Document Destruction
Once again, we’re teaming up with American Document Destruction (ADD) to shred your documents. ADD is a local business AAA certified by the National Association for Information Destruction. Staff will shred all of your documents on-site so that none of your information becomes compromised.
Here’s what you should bring to our spring shred events:
- Old tax returns (if they include tax-deductible charitable donations, tuition costs, business or medical expenses, keep for seven years)
- Pay stubs and reconciled account statements
- Loan documents (after loans are paid in full)
- Cancelled and voided checks
- Paid utility bills
- Expired insurance policies
- Items with your signature
- Credit card offers
You can also drop off other kinds of paper, such as magazines, newspapers and direct mail. If you have unused copy paper or construction paper, you should donate it to a local school that needs extra supplies.
For help deciding how long you should keep your documents, here’s some advice from the National Endowment for Financial Education.
Let’s make this the best “shred” season ever.
In spring 2018, we collected a total of 21,310 pounds of documents to shred and recycle. In fall 2018, we shredded and recycled 15,520 pounds of documents. Are you up for the challenge of making this the biggest “shred” season yet? We’ll see you in April!
Fast facts about paper recycling
Don’t think that recycling paper makes a difference? It really does!
- Over 68 million tons of paper and paperboard products are recovered annually in the United Sates
- The annual recycling rate for paper and paper products is 64.7 percent
- Every ton of paper recycled saves 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space
- More than twice as much paper is recycled than is sent to landfills (only 22 million tons of paper went to landfills in 2017, down from 36 million tons from a decade earlier)
- Every ton of recycled paper can spare 17 trees, 380 gallons of oil, 4,000 kilowatts of energy and 7,000 gallons of water
Check your email and our Facebook page for reminders about your shred event.