People Helping People
We care. Deeply.
St. Louis is one of the most charitable cities in the nation, #3 overall in 2017 according to Charity Navigator.
Doing good in the community and being socially responsible are both important to Arsenal Credit Union, and even though we are not a charity, our care for people goes beyond those who do business with us. It applies to all people.
We also care about the environment.
From 2013 through year-end 2017, our employees have:
- Volunteered 3,988 service hours toward improving our community on behalf of the credit union. (During the past year alone, the total was 1,140 hours, which equates to $27,519.60 based on using $24.14 as the value of one hour of volunteer service per Independent Sector in the calculation.)
- Made more than 3,850 sack lunches for people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
- Organized and contributed to many (at least 21) school supply, food, personal care, clothes, and toy drives at our branches for those less fortunate.
- Organized and contributed to four pet supply drives at our branches for local animal shelters.
- Donated new socks to the Hugs Project two different years, including 2017 when 108 pairs of socks were collected. The socks are included in holiday care packages that are sent to military men and women serving in foreign countries.
- Participated in “Denim Day” (for the 16th year in a row actually), with financial donations going to the American Cancer Society. In 2017, our staff donated $405.
In recognition of our social responsibility efforts, we have been honored at the state level with 15 Dora Maxwell Awards since 1994.
Financial education initiatives
We’ve taught a lot of young people in the classroom about personal finance – reaching 5,856 students through 304 presentations over the past five years.
Upon request, we are able to deploy our experienced youth financial education specialist and certified educator in personal finance (CEPF), Jenny Remes, to schools that are located within several miles of our branches. As a 12-year program veteran, Jenny engages students in the responsibility of budgeting, investing, managing credit and keeping money safe and secure by utilizing presentations that can be customized to grade level, needs and curriculum.
We also can enhance any teaching curriculum by providing free classroom materials, such as student workbooks and activities certified by the National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE).
Find out more: email Jenny Remes at email@example.com or call at 314.919.1006.
We sponsor a web-based financial literacy program through EverFi™ for students at four local high schools: McCluer North, Fox, Windsor and Seckman. In the past, we’ve done the same at Ursuline Academy and Affton. This cutting-edge program uses the latest in new media technology – simulations, avatars, gaming and adaptive-pathing – to bring complex financial concepts to life for today’s digital generation. Students become certified in hundreds of topics in personal finance, allowing them to become more informed, responsible citizens.
Since 2004, we have earned six Alphonse Desjardins Awards at the state level for our youth financial education efforts and one for our adult education program.
Social responsibility initiatives
Arsenal Credit Union strives to be a good environmental citizen. In order to help the community reduce waste, we provide recycling bins for cans and plastic containers at all our locations and assist with the responsible disposal of paper by holding several free, public “shred days” throughout the year. The latter also help people protect their identity by having confidential documents safely and securely destroyed.
We also host two electronics recycling events at our branches during the year and are the only local credit union that does this. One year (2016), we added collection bins outside a few of our branches so members could drop off and have their broken and unwanted Christmas lights recycled at no cost.
We continue to revamp our operational processes to use fewer materials, incorporate energy-efficient designs into new branches and recycle as much as possible.
"I have always appreciated my banking at Arsenal. It's super. It's clean, friendly, professional and helpful. I especially appreciate the fact that it is so community-oriented. I love the pleasant spirit of the place."