People Helping People
We care. Deeply.
Doing good in the community and being socially responsible are both important to Arsenal Credit Union, and even though we are not a charity, our care for people goes beyond those who do business with us. It applies to all people.
Request a donation
If you are a representative from an organization requesting a charitable donation from Arsenal, please fill out our Donation Request Form.
From 2013 through year-end 2018, our employees have:
- Volunteered 5,214 service hours toward improving our community on behalf of the credit union. (During the past year alone, the total was 1,226 hours, which equates to $30,269.94 based on using $24.69 as the value of one hour of volunteer service per Independent Sector in the calculation.)
- Made more than 5,629 sack lunches for people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless (including 1,779 in 2018).
- Organized and contributed to many school supply, food, personal care, clothes, and toy drives at our branches for those less fortunate.
- Organized and contributed to five pet supply drives at our branches for local animal shelters.
- Donated new socks to the Hugs Project two different years, including 2017 when 108 pairs of socks were collected. The socks are included in holiday care packages that are sent to military men and women serving in foreign countries.
- Partnered with the American Red Cross to hold our first ever blood drive in October 2018, collecting a total of 28 units of blood.
- Participated in “Denim Day” (for the 17th year in a row actually), with financial donations going to the American Cancer Society. In 2018, our staff donated $300.
In recognition of our social responsibility efforts, we have been honored at the state level with 16 Dora Maxwell Awards since 1994.
Financial education initiatives
We’ve taught a lot of young people in the classroom about personal finance – reaching 7,612 students through 300 presentations over the past five years.
Upon request, we are able to deploy our experienced youth financial education specialist and certified educator in personal finance (CEPF), Jenny Remes, to schools that are located within several miles of our branches. As a 13-year program veteran, Jenny engages students in the responsibility of saving, investing, managing credit and keeping money safe and secure by utilizing presentations that can be customized to grade level, needs and curriculum.
We also can enhance any teaching curriculum by providing free classroom materials, such as student workbooks and activities certified by the National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE).
Find out more: email Jenny Remes at email@example.com or call at 314.919.1006.
We sponsor a web-based financial literacy program through EverFi™ for students at four local high schools: McCluer North, Fox, Windsor and Seckman. In the past, we’ve done the same at Ursuline Academy and Affton. This cutting-edge program uses the latest in new media technology – simulations, avatars, gaming and adaptive-pathing – to bring complex financial concepts to life for today’s digital generation. Students become certified in hundreds of topics in personal finance, allowing them to become more informed, responsible citizens.
Since 2004, we have earned seven Alphonse Desjardins Awards at the state level for our youth financial education efforts and one for our adult education program.
Social responsibility initiatives
Arsenal Credit Union strives to be a good environmental citizen. In order to help the community reduce waste, we provide recycling bins for cans and plastic containers at all our locations and assist with the responsible disposal of paper by holding several free, public “shred days” throughout the year. The latter also help people protect their identity by having confidential documents safely and securely destroyed.
We also host two electronics recycling events at our branches during the year and are the only local credit union that does this. We’ve also recycled broken and unwanted Christmas lights through collection bins set up outside a few of our branches two of the past three holiday seasons and will do so again this year.
We continue to revamp our operational processes to use fewer materials, incorporate energy-efficient designs into new branches and recycle as much as possible.
"I have always appreciated my banking at Arsenal. It's super. It's clean, friendly, professional and helpful. I especially appreciate the fact that it is so community-oriented. I love the pleasant spirit of the place."